Saturday, June 21, 2014

Polish Strawberry- Rhubarb Cake

This is a recipe I followed and baked for a family bbq this weekend! It turned out absolutely wonderful and fully Polish-grandma/ family approved :) It is very simple to make, so simple I was shocked! And this is a crowed pleaser; everyone loves the strawberry-rhubarb combination, especially if its in a cake. 

If you're looking for traditional Polish-style cake, this is definitely one for you. More traditional cakes are sharlotka: apple cake, makowiec: poppy seed cake, mazurek: nut cake or adwokat: chocolate cake made with Adwokat Liquor, which range from very simple to a little bit more difficult. 
Mazurek especially is a nut cake eaten during Christmas and winter time. If not done correctly and paid close attention to during baking, it will turn out extremely dry (its happened to me :/ ). 
If you have any questions about Polish baking or recipes, please email me at claudiamgrabowski@gmail.com 

I will be posting more of my grandmothers recipes this summer, since I'll be in Poland with my family from July until August! 

This is not my recipe- it is a Polish recipe that I am translating into English.

Ingredients:

Cake batter:
3 stalks of cleaned and washed rhubarb, chopped
1/2 cup of sliced strawberries
2 eggs
2 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 stick of butter ( I used Polish butter for baking called "KASIA": You can get it in all Polish stores)

Streusel:
1/5 stick of room temperature butter (Polish  butter "KASIA")
2 Tbs sugar
2/3 cup of flour

Assembly:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

For the streusel--
1.  In a mixer, combine butter, sugar and flour until becomes a nice crumble. Make into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and put in the freezer.

Cake Batter--
2. Melt 1 stick of butter and set aside to cool.
3. Mix chopped rhubarb and sliced strawberries in a bowl with a pinch of salt and sugar.
3. Mix flour with baking soda. Then, in a separate bowl beat eggs, add sugar and vanilla until becomes fluffy.
4. Add flour to egg mixture in thirds. Combine until fluffy.
5. Butter a pan dust it with flour (I used a 9x13 pan) and pour batter into the pan. Add fruits on top of the batter.
6. Take streusel out of freeze. Grate streusel ball into small shreds. Sprinkle those shreds on top of the fruit.
7. Bake for 40 minutes to an hour depending on how much your cake rises and the size of your pan (my cake spilled over a little bit).

Busse was catching a sniff! 

My dad already stole a slice (or two) ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment